Here we go at the end of Day 1 in our double half blind or slightly hazy study of the Elderberry. This is what we were able to find at GNC:Nature's Way Elderberry
Encapsulated Elderberry berry squeezed in the autumn for maximum nutrients, supported by the whole Elderberry flower harvested in the summer months when full bloom is reached. Latin Name: Sambucus nigra
I have been doing some research on this magnificent herb and it's immune boosting powers, not to mention the actual studies that have compared the Elderberry quite favorably to Tamiflu a now well known H1N1 antidote, with fewer side effects. I've searched the internet for places that would sell the elderberry syrup locally. My plan was to run right out and get some.
Gregg wasn't feeling well and Jon Luc had a little cough so I was told to give this syrup at the onset of any symptoms. I believe we have all had the flu this year and I was the last one to get it and it just stayed with me for days. I could not get out of bed and EVERYTHING hurt. It even hurt to blink my eyes. When my chest started hurting and I was having trouble breathing we called the ambulance. Once I arrived and was quarantined with the other possible flu victims it wasn't long before the nurse came in to tell me that what I had wasn't contagious. Instead of a chest x-ray we went for a sonogram.
I gave birth to two boys and had a c-section with the twins. I NEVER felt like that before. That was a make up of the morning sickness I never got.
Anyway we're all better and hadn't even given thought to getting the flu shot let alone the H1N1 vaccine. I'm sorry but we will not be the human guinea pigs. I understand that there are people who get the flu shots annually and if that works for them that's great. No flu shots at our house. We are very fortunate to have wonderful resources like Stephanie Propper, another Homeschool New York mom who sent out the most wonderful information which I will repost below:
There are many others things that you can do to prevent the flu. For one you can build you immune system and digestive system.
1. Elderberry syrup: Do one week on and one week off for the coming month.
2. Vitamin C
3. Zinc (unda makes an amazing zinc)
4. Chlorella - Chlorella stimulated the immune system by stimulating the macrophages - Chlorella also enhances your digestive function which is ESSENTIAL for immune functioning
5. An amazing Chinese herbal formula called Jade Wind Screen. It is given to people with low immune system or people prone to colds and flus. Take when you are NOT sick because while it strengthens you defensive qi it also strengthens the pathogenic qi.
6. Astragalus: promotes a strong immune system. One of the best herbs to stimulate white blood production. (DO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE NURSING)
7. Ensure you are getting enough sleep. If you are not sleeping your defenses are down and you can easily be invaded by a pathogen. If you are having trouble sleeping try bach flower remedies or magnesium (I like CALM or Ionic Fizz) or an herb called suan zao ren. You can get suan zao ren in china town. Get it ground to a powder and mix two teaspoons of powdered suan zao ren into water and drink 30 minutes before going to sleep.
8. Try to have a bowel movement every day. If you are not, eat more leafy green vegetables, take magnesium (again CALM or Ionic Fizz) or chlorella and/or probiotics. A healthy colon is very important for a healthy immune system.
If you DO get sick there are many things you can do.
Keep on hand Herbal Wellness by Source Natures and take at the FIRST MOMENT you feel like you are coming down with something. Really when I say first moment I mean first moment. Many herbal formulas on the market for colds and flus will not work if you don't catch it before the virus has already replicated because they are all formulas designed to release the exterior when the virus has not gotten past the initial
level. So it is really important that you take it at the onset.
I started taking herbal wellness 4 years ago and have not had a cold or flu since then. It is a combination of the chinese herbal formula yin chao san, western herbs like echinacea, vitamins and minerals. You should also immediately stop eating wheat, dairy and soy products. You body needs to spend all of its resources to fight the infection not digestive cloying foods.
Drink fluids, fluids and more fluids. When the phlegm is clear and it is the first day make a giant pot of miso soup with lots of garlic, ginger, green onion and pepper (this is only (if) the phlegm is clear). (Then) crawl into bed and sweat out the pathogen. You can also keep OSHA root on hand which is an amazing
native american herb for colds.
Make a decoction out of it.
Best wishes and stay well.
Stephanie Propper, L.Ac.,
MSTOMPropper AcupunctureChinese Medicine for the Whole Family
Anyway we each took 2 capsules and it was either the placebo effect or this stuff is really potent. We both felt soo much better on the way home after a long day of Gymnastics and waiting in the cold and a long NYC subway commute to Riverbank State Park from Queens Village. We are not Hazy and breathing clearer. We have a little more energy even though it's the end of the day. I will sleep better tonight I know. I'll check back in tomorrow with dosage 2, Day 2.
Next quest Elderberry syrup.......