To Eat Beef or Not To Eat Beef? That is The Question, When Food Kills


Life after watching Food Inc. just was never the same.

"Filmmaker Robert Kenner lifts the veil on our nation's beef food industry. With the consent of our government's regulatory agencies, USDA and FDA, corporations that put profit ahead of consumer health control our food supply.

The livelihood of the American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment are at risk. We have new strains of E. coli -- the harmful bacteria that causes illness for an estimated 73,000 Americans annually -- and we are riddled with obesity and diabetes. 

The piece features interviews with such experts as Eric Schlosser ("Fast Food Nation"), Michael Pollan ("The Omnivore's Dilemma")." I’m having a little dilemma of my own. I don't eat a lot of red meat but this show has tainted my view of red meat. Well actually it's not the meat it's the meat packing industry.


The government for many past presidencies overseeing the FDA seems to have been in bed with the meat packing industry. So, no new laws to protect the consumers have been passed. It was hard to watch the mom who's trying to pass Kevin's Law tell her story and testify in Washington. Her little 2yr old died after eating hamburgers tainted with a strain of e-coli. He died in 12 days after they discovered why he was sick. The meat was not recalled until about 19 days after her son was dead.

I am very conscious of what I feed my family. After hearing that the cows were breeding e-coli because they were being fed corn instead of grass (corn is cheaper) was sickening. The number of slaughterhouses has dropped immensely while the production has continued to grow. Washing tainted meat with ammonia and using this as hamburger filler made my stomach turn. (It could just be my unborn child, but it's nauseating either way)

I remember when I was in 5th grade I read Upton Sinclair’s, “The Jungle" I stopped eating hot dogs and sausage for many years cold turkey.

I have yet to see Fast Food Nation and any of the other movies in around this topic. I look forward to hosting a screening and a Twitter Party (once I figure those out) about this movie in particular. This is a very important topic. Do we know where our food comes from? One family showed how expensive it was to eat healthy as opposed to going to a fast food restaurant and order from the $1 Menus. I have been very into Farmer's Markets and will investigate further where different establishments get their meat.

Thanks for tuning in again. Feel free to tweet us and/or leave a comment.